The R1 Exemption Exam:
Passing the R1 Exemption Exam allows students to complete the R1 graduation requirement without having to take a course that satisfies it. If you need to take a course for your major that satisfies the R1, there is no reason to take the R1 Exemption Exam. You will not get any credits for passing the R1 Exemption Exam. The math placement exam is a separate exam that does not give you the R1 Exemption.
About the exam:
- There are 20 multiple choice questions.
- To pass you need to have at least 12 correct.
- It is taken online through Blackboard and proctored by a remote proctoring service. There is no cost to students to take this exam.
- You will need the following items when taking the exam:
- Your Photo ID (Student ID, Driver's License, Passport, etc.)
- A webcam connected to your computer.
- Google Chrome browser installed (https://www.google.com/chrome)
- You will have 75 minutes to take it.
- There is a scientific calculator that is integrated into the exam.
- You may take the R1 Exemption Exam one time per testing window.
- The focus of this exam is to measure knowledge of basic math skills. The Math Department does not provide study materials. You can use a variety of free online sites to help you study. Topics include:
- perimeter, area, volume
- linear equations
- percent increase and decrease
- interpreting graphs and tables
- compound interest
The Exemption Exam is given two times a semester. The exam will be open for two days, from 5 am of the first day to 11 pm of the second day. You may take it anytime within those two days. If you miss taking it, you will have to sign up again the next time it is offered. ** All times are EST **
Fall 2021 (subject to change with University Academic Calendar)
- September 7-8
- December 7-8
Procedure to sign up:
- Submit this form. For the December 7-8 testing window, you must fill this form out by Saturday, December 4th at midnight. We cannot add anyone after the due date because registration is done through the Registrar's Office. If you miss this deadline to sign up you will have to wait until the Spring 2022 test dates. (We will update this site when we begin accepting Spring 2022 sign ups.) We will open the Blackboard course on Friday, December 3rd. To get to the exam you will need to sign into UMass Blackboard using your NetID. You will see the R1 Exemption Exam "course" in your dashboard.
- In the “Course”, you will see two areas “Practice Exam” and “R1 Exemption Exam”. In the practice exam area, you will see instructions on how online proctoring works and what you need to do to prepare for the exam. You can also take the Practice Exam which will allow you to make sure everything will work for you. Once the exam window is open, you can go to take the exam when you want in the “R1 Exemption Exam” section.
- You must be an active, currently enrolled student at UMass - Amherst for the semester in which you take the exam at the time you sign up for and take the exam.
You will see whether you passed the exam right after you submit it. Remember, you need 12 out of 20 correct to pass it. If you pass the exam you will see this reflected on your SPIRE account within a week. If you do not pass the exam, you may take it again the next time we offer it, or you can take a course that will satisfy the R1.
UWW students with UWW related questions about the R1 Exemption Exam should contact Shekhar Regmi, (firstname.lastname@example.org), UWW R1 Advisor.