The department has an active actuarial club! Our club is a member of the national insurance and risk organization Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS).
Spring 2020 Events
April 13, 5 pm: In a Zoom meeting, Madelyn Nelson '20 talked about studying for and passing actuarial exams. Madelyn has passed 4 exams (P, FM, SRM, and STAM). Her favorite online resource is Coaching Actuaries. Madelyn also talked about her summer internship with Aon.
April 17, 6 pm: In a Zoom meeting, alum Samuel Castillo '17 who works for Milliman in Chicago talked about his actuarial work, studying for the exams, the role of AI in the insurance industry, and his new company that prepares students for the PA exam.
Here is a link to Sam's talk. Thanks to Rachel Brooks for inviting Sam and moderating the talk.
In case you'd like to ask him more questions, here is his contact information:
And here are his presentation slides: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NjBIeNxJlf_y2LVx6dLP-uVRaREatKbs/view?u...
Fall 2020 Events
Actuarial Career Fair, Tuesday, September 22, 2020 in LGRT 1634.
The new officers for the upcoming year 2020-2021 are
- President: Rachel Brooks
- Vice President: Tien ("Ashley") Hoang
- Director of Opertions: Alexandra Lee
- Director of Finance: Tom Kummer
- Director of Communications: Puneet Modi
- Director of Management Information Systems (MIS): Ben Chaput
- Director of Career Development: Lauren LaBonte
- Director of External Affairs: Matthew Geiger
- International Student Chair: Shuqi ("Suzy") Bai